작성일
수정일
작성자
관리자
조회수

English Lounge 11/8 Topic (인문대교수연구동 212호)

1st session

1. Introduce yourself.

2. What did you do last weekend?

3. Do you have any siblings?

4. Which one do you think would be better, only child vs siblings?

Report: Fewer Koreans Have a Positive View of Marriage

Young people in South Korea are turning their backs on marriage, according to a government report.

A survey by Statistics Korea of Koreans aged between 19 and 34 found that just 36% have a positive opinion of marriage. That's down from 56% in 2012. The report found that many young Koreans feel they do not have enough money for marriage at a time when the cost of living is high. Others said they don't think that marriage is necessary.

The report also found that only 28% of the women surveyed have a positive opinion of marriage. This may be because women are choosing to put their jobs first ― before marrying and starting a family. Earlier in the year, Statistics Korea said that the number of marriages in the country in 2022 was the lowest ever recorded.

There were 192,000 marriages in 2022. The number of marriages recorded has now decreased in each of the last 11 years. The government is worried and has spent years trying to encourage young people to marry and have children, since the country's birth rate is also falling.

But more Koreans are happy to stay single. There is even a word for people who choose not to marry: bihon (비혼).

And instead of encouraging Koreans to marry, some people are asking the government to do more for single people who have chosen to live on their own.

1. What are your thoughts on Statistics Korea’s findings?

2. How do you think of marriage? Do you want to get married in the future?

3. Is there someone who don’t want to get married near you?

4. Why do you think this situation happens?

2nd session

1. Introduce yourself.

2. How was your weekend?

3. Are you introverted or extroverted?

4. What is your favorite sport? How did you start?

Kelvin Kiptum Sets World Marathon Record at 2:00:35

Kelvin Kiptum set a world record in the Chicago Marathon on Sunday, October 8, finishing in 2 hours, 35 seconds to shatter fellow Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge's old mark by 34 seconds.

Kiptum crossed the winning line three minutes and 27 seconds ahead of Benson Kipruto ― also from Kenya ― who took second place. The Belgian runner Bashir Abdi took third place. As Kiptum approached the end of the race he waved and blew kisses at the crowd before raising his arms as he crossed the line. Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands also took advantage of cool and cloudy weather that's believed to be perfect for a marathon to win the women's race in 2:13:44 ― the second-fastest ever for a woman at the 42.1-kilometer distance.

Kiptum won the London Marathon in the spring in 2:01:25 and shaved almost a minute off the world record set last year in Berlin by Kipchoge, a two-time Olympic champion and the most successful marathon runner ever. "I knew I was coming for a course record, but a world record ― I am so happy," Kiptum said. "A world record was not on my mind today, but I knew one day I would be a world record-holder."

Kipchoge also broke the 2-hour mark in 2019 in a specially designed Vienna exhibition that does not qualify for the world record. Hassan's time is second behind the women's world record of 2:11:53 set last month in Berlin by Tigist Assefa of Ethiopia. Assefa shattered the women's world record by more than two minutes.

More than 47,000 runners took part in Sunday's event.

1. What are your thoughts on Kelvin Kiptum setting the world marathon record?

2. Have you ever trained for a sports event or competition?

3. Have you ever overcome your limits in your life?

4. Is there anything you want to challenge in the future?

첨부파일
  • 하창수

하창수/기계공학부/참석

• 류동훈

류동훈/영어영문학과/참석

• 김대현

김대현/대기환경과학과/참석

• 구자명

구자명/심리학과/참석

• 김민제

김민제/정보컴퓨터공학부/참석

• 박성진