*For details, please refer to the 'Academic Records' link on the 'Student Support System' website.
If students are unable to continue their studies for unavoidable reasons such as illness or personal affairs, they may apply for a leave of absence during the specified period.
If international students with a D-2 (study abroad) visa request a leave of absence, their visas will be cancelled and they will have to leave Korea within 14 days after the leave of absence begins or change their qualifications for length of stay.
※The Busan Immigration Office sends individuals a request to leave the country and usually gives them from 14 days to one month to depart Korea when applying for a school leave of absence. PNU recommends leaving the country within 14 days after the leave of absence begins in case the international student does not receive the request from the Immigration Office due to delivery delays.
Leave of Absence Period
- Students are permitted to request a leave of absence before half of the total class days have passed from the first class day of each semester--the officially designated halfway point of each semester.
- Freshmen in undergraduate programs are not permitted to take a leave of absence during the first semester after school enrollment.
- Restrictions on the Length of Leaves of Absence
- Within eight (8) semesters for Architecture majors in the Department of Architecture
- Undergraduate programs: six (6) semesters
- Master's or doctoral programs: four (4) semesters and six (6) semesters, respectively
- Linked bachelor's and master's degree programs: eight (8) semesters; integrated and linked master's and doctoral programs: ten (10) semesters
- Architecture majors and the Department of Architecture may take ten (10) semesters if they are in a linked bachelor's and master's degree program. Twelve (12) semesters for integrated and linked bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs.
- Students unable to take courses for unavoidable reasons such as illness, pregnancy (within 1 year), childbirth/parenting (within 3 years in total) and studying abroad and language training abroad over one (1) year are exempted from these restrictions.
Procedures for a Leave of Absence
- Before registering for a leave of absence, please check PNU's tuition-related regulations.
- Students who take a leave of absence before half of the total class days in the previous semester are considered to have paid the full tuition fees in the next semester. Also, they are exempted from charges in case of any tuition increase.
- If you register for a leave of absence online or submit a request for a leave of absence (including required documents) to your department office, you can be granted a leave of absence.
- You can download a request for a leave of absence online [ Click ]
- If students want to extend their leave of absence after one semester (if they only registered for one semester), they do not need to apply for re-enrollment to immediately request for another leave of absence.
Direct link to Leave of Absence information online
- Please check the schedule for leaves of absence through the 'Academic Calender' or the 'Student Support System Notices' links.