*For details, please refer to the menu of the 'Student Support System' website.
- Students must satisfy course and credit completion requirements within the maximum number of semesters of enrollment and with a GPA of 2.0 or higher (16 semesters; 20 semesters for architecture majors). Also, students must fulfill the graduation requirements by department (graduation thesis, comprehensive exams, and others) before receiving degrees.
※ Multiple majors must meet the graduation requirements of multiple majors (department) to obtain multiple majors.
- a. Early graduation is defined as granting a degree without enrollment for the 8th semester to students who have fulfilled their graduation requirements by taking special exams for earning credits, earning extra credits each semester, and/or earning credits during summer/winter sessions.
- b. Eligibility: Students who have fulfilled their graduation requirements by the sixth or seventh semesters and have a GPA of 4.0 or higher for the total semesters of their studies.
- c. Transfer students, readmitted students, and students on academic probation are not eligible for early graduation.
Common Graduation Standards for Undergraduate Foreign Students
|Year of Admission||Target||TOPIK||English Test||Other|
|2014~2015.3 (include 2016~2017.3 transfer student)||All majors||TOPIK Level 4 or above||TOEFL 550, CBT 210, iBT 80, IELTS 5.5, TEPS 550 or above or appropriate scores of National Official English Test||Either TOPIK or English Test|
|From 2015.9 ~ (From 2017.9 transfer student)||All majors except Global studies||TOPIK Level 4 or above||-||-|
|Global studies||-||TOEFL 550, CBT 210, iBT 80, IELTS 5.5, TEPS 550 or above or appropriate scores of National Official English Test||-|
※ Students who have entered the PNU before 2014 need to check with each department
Required Subjects for Undergraduate Foreign Students
- a. Target: At the time of admission, TOPIK level 3 or lower students
- b. Exempt target: TOPIK level 4 or higher students, Global studies students, Transfer students
- c. Exempt method: After the acquisition of TOPIK level 4 or higher the course will be exempt from the next semester
|Classifi- cation||Course Name||Credits & Grading||Semester by TOPIK level|
|Credits||Evaluation||TOPIK Level 2 or below||TOPIK Level 3|
|Elective Cours||Basic KoreanⅠ||3||absolute evaluation||1st semester||-|
|Basic KoreanⅡ||2nd semester||-|
|Intermediate KoreanⅠ||3rd semester||1st semester|
|Intermediate KoreanⅡ||4th semester||2nd semester|
※ Only one class per semester, and you must take classes according to the level of difficulty.
Common Graduation Standards for Graduate Foreign Students
- a. Composition: General Test and Foreign Language Test
- b. Composition: General Test and Foreign Language Test
|Distinction||Master’s course||Doctoral’s course|
|Registration time||2times a year(February/August)|
|Examination time||2times a year(March/September)|
|Applicationmethod||E-onestop > Graduation > Qualifying Examination for Dissertation Submission> Web-Registration
※ After selecting all the subjects you want to apply for, you must click the “apply for Exam”button.
(1) General Test
- Implemented by each university, please be sure to check with the department office
- Exam qualification: Eligible for students who have complete 1/2 of degree qualification credits(integrated master’s+doctoral degree students should have finished six(6) semesters or more)
- Result: Please must confirm with the department office
(2) Foreign Language Test
- Exam qualification: Graduate students are eligible to apply(no restrictions)
- Exam Content
|Distinction||Master’s course||Doctoral’s course|
|Subjects||English or Korean||English or Korean & Second foreign language
(When required by the department)
|Exam Language||All candidates taking foreign language exams are required to answer in Korean|
|Qualification criteria||Over 60 points (out of 100)||Over 70 points (out of 100)|
|Qualified candidates announced||
- Exemption from foreign language test: English and Korean tests may be exempted in other ways than on-campus tests,
|How to apply||E-onestop > Graduation > Qualifying Examination for Dissertation Submission > Web-Registration > Apply for ‘English’ or ‘Korean(foreigners only)’ > Submit the ‘Application for Exemption from Degree Request Qualifying Examination’(department office or downloaded from student E-onestop) and ‘transcript’ to the department office.
※Language Education Institute exemption lecture elective candidates must also submit an application for exemption
- (a) Foreign Language test pass(exemption) criteria: English
|Process||Test name||Exemption (passing) criteria for each department||Note|
|Humanities and social sciences||Natural sciences||Art and sports|
|Same for Master and PhD||TOEIC||Over 700 points||Over 700 points||Over 500 points|
(Organized by the International Language Institute of PNU)
|Over 700 points||Over 700 points||Over 500 points||Excluded from 2022|
|TOEIC Speaking||Over 120 points||Over 110 points||Over 90 points|
|TOEFL||iBT||Over 79 points||Over 74 points||Over 57 points|
(Organized by PNU International)
|Over 550 points||Over 537 points||Over 487 points||Schedule: Please check the website of PNU International|
|IELTS||Over 5.5 points||Over 5.5 points||Over 5 points|
|TEPS||Over 300 points||Over 280 points||Over 222 points|
|Alternative Course||Those who have completed the English examination exemption course offered by PNU International Language Institute and have scored at least 70 on the exam|
|Nationality or Prior degree||Students who are from New Zealand, the United States, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, or who have obtained a prior degree in one of these countries|
※Departments of Public Policy, Business Administration, Chemistry, Life Systems, Earth and Environmental Systems(except for Atmospheric Science majors), Materials Engineering, Clothing and Textile, and Nursing use separate criteria(must be confirmed at the department office or E-onestop)
- (b) Foreign language test pass(exemption) criteria: Korean
|Section Department||Exemption criteria|
|All colleges||Those who have completed the Korean language examination exemption course offered by PNU International Language Institute and scored at least 70 points on the examination||Same for Master and PhD (Foreigners only)|
|TOPIK Level 4 or above
(including level 4 or higher in PNU International Language Institute’s Korean language lectures)
Common Korean Language Course for Graduate Foreign Students
- a. Target: Graduate students of natural sciences and engineering, entertainment and sports, Humanities and social sciences
- b. Course details
|Course #||Course Name||Time||Grade||Place|
|ZZ74469||Basic KoreanⅠ||3hours (No grades)||S/U||International Language Institute (Building #210)
- c. Completion method
- Natural sciences and engineering/Entertainment and sports: completion of 1 course
- Humanities and social sciences: completion of 2 courses
※ Students can take it in the semester you want before graduating it, and you can take only one course per semester.
- d. Exempt method(Choose one from the three methods bellow)
- Take an exempt exam in our university
- Submit the TOPIK report card over 4 level
- Study in International Language Institute over 800hours
For more information: PNU International Language Institute(051-510-3406)/ E-mail(firstname.lastname@example.org)