International students at PNU must sign up for health insurance that guarantees minimum coverage of USD 10,000 for injuries and illness. After signing up for health insurance, you have to submit the certified documents to PNU International every semester.
Collective Insurance for International Students at PNU
The Center for International Student Services (CISS) starts collecting insurance documents during vacation before every semester. Please refer to the following instructions below before signing up for insurance.
- Freshmen and enrolled students (diploma candidates and researchers included).
- Exchange and visiting students cannot purchase Group Insurance provided by PNU.
- Varies every year (based on spring semester 2015: Male - KRW 77,700 / Female - KRW 64,250).
Period of Insurance Payment
- On the same schedule as the dormitory payment period and tuition payment period every semester.
- Students can pay from oversees during the designated period (you will be alerted by notice).
How to Pay for Health Insurance
- Print the bill for your dormitory fee on the Dormitory Service System or your tuition fee bill on the Student Support System. Along with the bill, your insurance bill will be printed out on the second page. Students may pay the bill at any bank in Korea.
- From the beginning of each semester (00:00 a.m.) to the date before the next semester begins (24:00 p.m.), six (6) months total.
- Example: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 12:01 a.m. ~ Monday, February 29, 2016 at midnight.
Insurance Guarantee Information
|Insurance Coverage||Limit (KRW)|
|Accidental death and physical impairment||100,000,000|
|Illness, death, and more than 80% permanent disability||30,000,000|
|Accident and illness, in-patient medical expenses||50,000,000|
|Accident and illness, out-patient medical expenses||250,000|
|Accident and illness, pharmacy expenses||50,000|
Guide to Submitting Insurance Policy Proof
- International students who have purchased individual insurance or Korea's National Health Insurance.
- Copy of insurance policy from personally purchased insurance provider or Korea's National Health Insurance.
- Document should contain the student's name, coverage dates, and coverage limits.
- Deadline for submitting personally purchased insurance will be designated on the notice.
- Submit an insurance policy that covers at least USD 10,000 for injuries and accidents caused in Korea.
National Health Insurance
National Health Insurance is the policy the government provides under the law. It is a reliable insurance service to improve national health by protecting against illness and injuries through diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, birth care and hospice. If you are a foreigner living in Korea with your family, we recommend that you sign up for the National Health Insurance policy that gives coverage to the whole family based on one family member signing up.
Qualifications for Membership
- Individuals who completed the process of alien registration at the Busan Immigration Office are permitted to register for national health insurance at their request if they have met the requirements below.
Qualifications for Length of Stay
- F-2, F-4, D-1~9, E-1~5, E-7~8, F-1 (Korean spouse or child).
Cost and Payment of Insurance
- Monthly Payment.
- Health Insurance Information for Employers: Business owner must cover 50% of health insurance fees (salary × employment). Insurance fees are deducted from the employee's salary.
- Regional Health Insurance: Available regardless of whether or not you receive an income; coverage based on employment insurance rate.
- In case of no income, the insurance fee is based on the average income fee from the regional health insurance standard calculated at the end of last year.
- Individuals admitted for a fixed length of stay may not register until three (3) months after they arrive in Korea, except for cases of marriage, job-seeking, or study abroad.
Contact and Directions
Office in Geumjeong, Busan.
- Address: 16th floor (Guseo-dong), Jungangdae-ro 1925
Postal Code: 609-801
- FAX: 051-801-4271 - Buses: 50, 148, 1002 (direct) (Get off at the Hanglim Medical Care Hospital in Dusil) - The bus stop at Shindong-a Apartment: 29, 49, 80, 131, 301 - Subway: Exit 1 at Dusil Station (Line 1), Geumjeong Tower Building.
Student Medical Fund
Students may save medical service fees (fund) into a student account when they pay their tuition fees. After treatment at one of Busan's medical centers, students may submit an application for the student medical service payment, which will be reviewed to determine if they are eligible for the student medical fund limits listed below. This medical plan can also give duplicate insurance benefits to international students. For more information, please refer to the following:
Members and Fees
- Members are required to name the university and graduate school where they paid the medical services fees (diploma candidates and exchange students are not included).
- Medical Care Fees: KRW 3,000 per semester, equal for all the degree programs.
- General hospitals, clinics, Korean medicine clinics, dental clinics and any medical institutions approved by the Supervising Committee for the Student Medical Fund.
- Go to the Student Support System for the on-line application.
Student Life > Student Medical Fund > Application and Confirmation for Medical Service Payment.
- Submit your medical record or medical certificates and receipts for medical expenses (in detail) to the 2nd floor of the Main Administration Building or Student Affairs Office at PNU.
Limits on Medical Fund Payment
- Class 1 (Death)
- Death in Service: KRW 5,000,000
- Other Deaths: KRW 3,000,000
- Class 2 (While in Service): KRW 2,000,000
- Class 3 (Hospitalization for critical illness or injuries): 80% of the insurance payouts (no more than KRW 600,000) and 50% of non-insurance payouts (no more than KRW 400,000)
- Class 4 (Hospitalization for reasons other than Class 3): 70% of insurance payouts (no more than KRW 400,000) and 40% of non-insurance payouts (no more than KRW 300,000)
- Class 5 (Outpatient Treatment): 60% of insurance payouts (less than KRW 300,000) and 30% of non-insurance payouts (less than KRW 200,000)
* A Committee composed of PNU professors will determine which class is applicable to determine insurance payout limits.
Limitations on Providing the Fund.
- If the amount of the medical service fees claimed is less than KRW 3,000.
- If medical fund disbursement was received for the same illness more than one time per year.
- If the member's medical fund provision exceeds one time per semester.
- Congenital illness or cosmetic surgery for improvement in physical appearance.
- Treatment or death by accident or violence-based injuries.
- If another committee decides that providing the medical fund is unjustified.
- Metal dentures, aesthetic functional dentures, braces and scaling.
Limitations on the Application Period
- Students are required to apply within three (3) months after recovery if they applied for the fund during the semester in which they had been medically treated and if they had been medically treated for two consecutive semesters.
※ For details, please contact the Student Affairs Office (☎510-1271)